27.6.12

Outfit Idea: Polka Dots for Everyone

I know, I know.  You are very concerned about what you are going to wear to your 4th of July celebration next week.  On a bit more serious note, it may have not crossed your mind yet, but as you can imagine I have been thinking about it... a lot. I am trying to pack for a week at Cape Cod, and I always find it extremely challenging due to the unpredictable weather at the Cape.  Since I know that no one thinks about clothes as much as I do, I thought I would let you in on my thoughts...

First, I find it interesting how this holiday always brings to mind a very wholesome image of family bbq's and fireworks, while the winter holidays make me think of larger, more formal gatherings.  I suppose it is all based on your own personal experiences.  Anywho, I am digressing...

Due to this wholesome image and the explosion of polka dots this spring/summer, I thought what better way to celebrate this national holiday with a look that invokes a vintage feel.  A look that is reminiscent of something right out of Pleasantville... with a twist, of course.  Whether you or not you are one to wear red, white & blue, why not wear a two of the three colors or try all three if you are feeling brave.

J.Crew's Scatter-Dot Dress is a cute option that will flatter any figure...


pair it with a sophisticated yet fun pair of shoes, such as the DVF Tafari Orange Patent Wedges.


Who says your shoes can't match your bag?  J.Crew's Brompton Straw Clutch is the perfect way to add a touch more color.


If that is too traditional, give a vintage Liz Claiborne midi skirt a whirl...


pair it with some boho chic accessories, such as the Tory Burch Wood & Resin Bangles.



This retro feeling Ferragamo suede clutch (it's on sale!) would be a perfect complement.

There is always the elegant and versatile route.  This Limited Dotted Strapless Dress is affordable (under $100!), super cute and has the ability to be dressed up or down... perfect!



Then you can spend all the money you saved buying the affordable dress on the fab Tory Burch Elastic Belt.  These two pieces would look so great together... however, this is the reasoning that always gets me into loads of trouble!



In keeping with the red, white & blue theme, I had to feature these Elizabeth and James Tara High Heel Sandals... fun and elegant, but they are not going to help you save money.  Really any neutral sandal or wedge would complete this look, just make sure they aren't too chunky.

So you see, polka dots can be lots of fun.  This only a sampling of options based on the "trying to be patriotic without looking like you tried to be patriotic" theme.  Now, go buy some polka dots!


                                                                                                              - Allison

*Photos courtesy of jcrew.com, freepeople.com, couture.zappos.com, neimanmarcus.com, mytheresa.com, thelimited.com, nordstrom.com, shopbop.com.


















No comments:

Post a Comment