20.6.12

Outfit Idea: The Striped Silk Cami

I suppose it is inevitable.  I have realized that there is a point in time, unbeknownst to us, when we start to become our mothers.  Whether it is in looks, behavior, or style... it will happen.  The question is when???

Well, I have come to discover that this change might happen very early in life.  I would like to think that at 33, I am still fairly young.  I would have thought that at this age, I am still original and completely me.  However, I am not sure it that is really true...

After my mom's (aka Mimi's) recent visit, I have been questioning my originality quite a bit.  The long and short of it is that during a shopping trip to our favorite J.Crew (at the Garden State Plaza), the most unimaginable thing happened...

Let me preface this with the fact that Mimi and I were both looking for a cute top, but for completely different purposes... mine to wear with pants/shorts and hers was to wear with a pencil skirt to an upcoming bridal shower.

Mimi was busy trying on different tops, while I searched around the store for a blouse/cami that would be perfect to showcase a necklace or possibly a bunch of bracelets.  I was having a tough time finding  anything until I spied a very pretty soft white silk cami with light blue stripes... it was perfect.  I quickly found my size and headed to the fitting room.

I loved the top!  It was cute, flattering, the perfect length... all that you could ask for.  That's when Mimi noticed it.  I stepped out of the fitting room and her eyes lit up..."I love it, Allison!  What size it?  Can I try it on?"  "Sure", I replied.  It's my mom, what am I supposed to say?

Quickly Mimi tried on the tank, it looked good on her (but better on me!).  The moment she stepped out of the dressing room, I knew it was over.  I had lost my tank.  "This would be perfect with my skirt, and the sandals I was thinking about... "  Ugh... my mom stole the shirt right off my back!

Yes, I know that I look like my mom.  I laugh like her, I act like her, and now, apparently, I dress like her too.  It ended up that we both purchased the Striped Silk Cami that day.  However, we styled it in completely different ways...


Mimi chose to wear the striped cami with the aforementioned ivory pencil skirt, gold sandals, a very cool Cork Invitation Clutch from J.Crew as well as orange necklaces that she also purchased on our shopping trip.  With the help of my sister Meredith (Jack Thread's Stylist Extraordinaire) she sent me some fab pics of her ensemble...




I, on the other hand, wore mine a bit more casually... I added my "vintage" boyfriend jeans (also from J.Crew) and my blue suede shoes.  Since, I haven't updated my clutches in a bit, I had to grab my trusty animal print clutch, although, I would have preferred one like Mimi's...




What do you think?  The fun part is that there are many more ways to wear this cami... I would say we both made a great purchase.  It's destined to be a classic.


                                                                                                                       - Allison


*Photo courtesy of jcrew.com.

1 comment: