17.2.12

NYFW: Lesson 4

Reminiscent of the thirties, fifties and a touch of the seventies, many designers sent looks down the runway that emphasize the female form.  Pencil skirts, jackets nipped at the waist, sheaths, slim pants as well as curve hugging evening dresses all played up the hourglass silhouette while keeping the looks very chic and modern.  The key player in the return to this more classic and conservative look was the belt.  

The belt played a very important role in the majority of the fall shows.  Anything and everything was belted.  Designers played with the width of the belt, but the majority placed the belt at the waistline.  In other words, waist-defining looks are a key trend for the fall season.

As a big proponent of the belt, I find this trend very exciting!  I belt pretty much everything that can be belted... even my puffy coats.  I find it the quickest and easiest way to give yourself some shape and create a figure flattering look.  As you have probably guessed, Lesson 4 is about the belt.
  
There are many different belt options out there, but I find that I tend to wear a more rugged brown belt, a leopard print belt, a skinny black patent belt, a white silver-studded belt and my Carrie Bradshaw studded belt (wide black w/gold studs).  I definitely think you need to start with the basics and then grow your belt collection from there, but first you must figure out which types of belts are perfect for you.  

If you tend to belt a skirt and shirt combo or a dress, skinny belts are a must.  If you want to belt chunkier sweaters over jeans or skirts, you should probably go for a belt that is least one inch wide.  If you want your belts to make a statement, go for the really wide belts.  Belts are very personal and depend on your individual style, so no one's core group will be exactly the same. 

After you have assessed your style, start shopping your closet for beltable pieces.  This is a great time to pull out dresses, sweaters, and jackets that you haven't worn in awhile.  Now try a belt with these underused pieces and change up the look.  I have even belted a denim shirt over a maxi dress and it totally works!  

Keep this trend in mind as you peruse sales and spring styles.  Add pieces that will take you into the fall.  It's all about smart shopping, right?!

Inspiration from NYFW...

Rachel Zoe

Carlos Miele

Carolina Herrera
Michael Kors
Diane Von Furstenberg
Rag & Bone

Michael Kors
Carolina Herrera
My "go to" selection...



My belted denim shirt over a maxi dress... one of my fave combo's.


I am dying to belt my animal print maxi cardigan with my Carrie belt... maybe this weekend???


                                           - Allison
*Photos courtesy of nymag.com


No comments:

Post a Comment