28.9.11

The First of the Fall Trends

I completely loved being a guest stylist at Neiman Marcus this past weekend.  Not only was it very exciting and a lot fun, but it also forced me to really narrow down my top picks for fall.  At the beginning of every season, I love everything.  I like to imagine how and where I would wear the various trends, until I come back to reality and realize that most of the gorgeous clothing available would not fit into my lifestyle.  This usually happens midway through the season... after I have either bought and returned half of my wardrobe, or ended up with pieces that just don't get worn.  I never thought that this event would be so helpful for me, personally!



The Wednesday before the event, I scoured Neiman's contemporary department with my rolling rack for about two hours.  After lots of contemplating, I came to the conclusion that there are about ten trends that are worth considering this fall.  Some can be combined, other's you may have covered or not be interested in this year.  I will discuss them all and let you decide.  For the sake of time, I will touch on all in the next couple of weeks.  Today, I would like you to consider one of my favorite looks... the maxi dress.

Many of you will remember that I have been taken with the maxi dress since earlier the spring.  When I saw this trend carried on through the fall (and even next spring), I jumped for joy.  I feel that the maxi (dress or skirt) is so easy to wear.  I liken it to putting on my yoga pants everyday... I slip one on in the morning, grab my flip flops or ankle booties and I am ready to go.  Granted, if you are heading to the playground or a conservative office, this may not be the ideal piece of clothing, but believe me it will take you far.  Oh, and I forgot to mention that the long line of the maxi will help lengthen you while disguising any problem areas (just play up your assets).

The beauty of some of my favorite maxi's this season (so far) is the drama and versatility that they possess. For example, I could put the dress on in the morning with my worn out leather belt, a pair of Frye booties... maybe add my fur vest if it is chilly.  At night, I would wear the same dress with a pair of gorgeous earrings, a fab ring and maybe a pair of platform booties or heels... maybe python, maybe something in color, or just basic black (depends on my mood).  Either way, it is a killer look!


I would literally die to own all of the dresses below... cut beautifully and understated enough to allow you to "play"!


Theyskens' Theory Long Silk Gown... I think the picture says it all... fabulous!



Sachin + Babi Vanessa Silk Gown... this is the one that I used at Neiman's!  I die!



Twelfth Street by Cynthia Vincent Bound Corset Maxi Dress... I love the simplicity of this dress.  It comes in 4 different colors, and I would like them all!



Twelfth Street by Cynthia Vincent Decollete Bias Maxi Dress... I have this dress in a green floral.  It fits beautifully.  I am dying to wear it with some sort of cozy black sweater... I just haven't found the right one yet.  I will keep you posted!


Your mission this week is to find your perfect maxi dress.  Happy shopping!

                                           - Allison
*Photos courtesy of neimanmarcus.com and cynthiavincent.net.


No comments:

Post a Comment