2.11.10

Are you label crazy???


Who doesn't love to wear a label... Tory Burch flats, a Burberry quilted coat, a Louis Vuitton or Gucci bag... I could go on and on.  I am not going to lie, I love my Louis handbag and I have definitely had my eye on a pair of leopard print Tory wedges, but when does it get to be too much?

Burberry coat... so cute, but is it too much?

Let's face it, these labels are status symbols.  For most of us, we dream about owning (for example) a Chanel quilted handbag. Then, one day, after many years of pouring blood, sweat & tears into saving money for this above said bag... we can finally buy it!  Oh, the joy!!!  Of course we want to flaunt it, who wouldn't?!  But there does come a time when too many labels can take you from chic to a wannabe... no joke.   Now, I don't want to offend anyone, this is just something that I have observed and mulled over for a bit... this is my conclusion.

Beautiful bag, but are you buying for the logo?

For example, I recently saw a very cute woman wearing Tory flats, a Tory belt (also with a large insignia), a large Louis handbag and a Burberry coat complete with a plaid collar and cuffs.  Then, the other day at the store, I saw another really well-dressed woman in the checkout line holding her Louis wallet, a very large Chanel bag (I was a bit jealous) and Prada boots (how did I know they were Prada, because it was written right on the top of each boot)!  Do you see what I mean?  It just gets silly after awhile.  We get it, you have a lot of money, or you are buying great fakes!  A stylish woman does not need labels to be fabulous.

Gucci aviators... sexy & subtle

So, the next time you are going to buy an investment piece, stop yourself for a minute and think... am I buying this just for the logo, or are you completely in love with this handbag, jacket, shoe, etc.???  Just remember, the most chic and elegant ladies are usually the ones who are not wearing really visible labels, or wear them sparingly.  The most important factors should be the fit, shape, the details, "is it a classic?"... cultivate your own personal style instead of defaulting to the status pieces.

The YSL Muse bag... this is an investment piece!

Now that I have finished my rant, I still want my Tory wedges, but I will be careful what I wear them with (when I get them)... it is all about what is right for you!


                    - Allison


* photos courtesy of berfdorfgoodman.com, toryburch.com & ruggedelegantliving.com

No comments:

Post a Comment