8.4.13

The Multiple Personality Conundrum

As I venture further into my Style Cleanse, I have run into a bit of a hiccup.  How do you streamline your wardrobe while balancing all of your "style personalities"?

There are those of you who seem to innately know and love your style.  It is amazing how you dress to fit your personality everyday - workout clothes, casual or dressed up - it doesn't matter.  I think it is safe to say you have the Victoria Beckham thing down pat.

Then there are those of you who are like me.  During the winter I have the edgy/rock n roll/vegan leather look, the West meets Ski Country/Cowboy boots are cool look, and my sporty spice gym look.  The warmer temps seem to bring out my sophisticated country club side, preppy - like I summer at the Chatham Bars Inn look, or the always fun boho - I am leaving for a music festival tomorrow side of me.  The hardest part of balancing these personalities is trying to plan a wardrobe to meet my needs.  Trying to predict who will be emerging each morning is like asking "which way does the wind blow?"... Hence the challenging part of the Style Cleanse.

For guidance, I tend to look to one of my favorite multiple personality style icons - Carrie Bradshaw (yes, I know that she is not a real person).  When I gather some of my favorite Carrie looks, they may be a little out there, but are always grounded by mixing in an unexpected element that keeps the look from going off the deep end.  Granted, some of looks could only be pulled off on a tv show, but they are still great for inspiration.

A nod to Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's.  Note the hair and pearls mixed with a casual tank. Classic pieces, updated a bit and grounded with a casual tee and layering of necklaces.



My all time fave, the studded belt.  She can make anything look cool with this belt.  And it keeps the dress or coat from looking to prim and proper or just plain boring.





Not only is this dress amazing on it's own, the neutral studded belt and nude shoes help to bring it down a notch, and make it much more wearable.




Who doesn't want to go on a dream date in giant tulle skirt?!  I like the addition of a tailored blazer and neutral shoes to once again bring it back into the realm of wearability.




I looove this look.  I am not sure if I would ever traipse through a market in Abu Dhabi sporting a giant silk maxi skirt, but I heart it just the same.  The j'adore tee makes the look.




So, what have I learned... When suffering from multiple style personalities, it is imperative to start with the basics.  Make sure you own a fitted denim jacket, tailored blazers (black, ivory and navy are good place to start), a fab pair of dark jeans (preferably with slight flare) and a fun pair of destroyed skinnier jeans.  You must own a pair of skinny black pants as well as something in the pleather/leather family. I also recommend sailor stripes as we enter the warmer months. 

Fear not, you will not be able to acquire the basics all at once.  It definitely takes awhile.  I am still working on my list, but I try to add a piece or two each season.  I guess you could say you will have two running lists - the Basics & the Fun Stuff.

Now for the Fun Stuff.  This is where you get to add in the pieces that express your different personalities.  But, it is very easy to get off track and just start randomly buying (and this would defeat the entire purpose of the Style Cleanse). Therefore, to keep everything streamlined, you must determine a buying strategy at the beginning of each season.  

My buying strategy tends to be based on a color scheme.  I try to buy a piece for each personality that can (hopefully) coordinate with other pieces that I am purchasing.  If you can't mix & match your spoils, there is no point in making the purchase in the first place.  

To demonstrate my strategy - this is my wish list this spring...

This Cascade of Ruffles Tunic from Free People looks great with destroyed denim, but would also be so cute over a swimsuit or skinny patterned or black pants.  



Thinking it might be fun to throw this super cute J. Crew Neon Tweed Blazer over my new tunic and jeans or maybe a maxi dress...



The Aurelian Brocade Dress from Anthropologie is pretty, feminine and polished.  It would be perfect for showers, First Communions, dinners, etc.  It would also be fun to play with...



Just to be different yet still country club chic, I would love to add the Linea Pelle Allegra Colorblock Swirl Belt...



The view from behind...


This J. Crew Invitation Clutch in Cork would finish this look off quite nicely.



These J. Crew green floral pants would totes satisfy my preppy craving.  The entire look would be awesome.  But, alas, not only are the pants way too expensive, I cannot seem to find them online anymore.  



That doesn't stop me from dreaming - if I owned these pants, I would definitely pair them and everything else with these flirty flourescent yellow Kate Spade Licorice Pumps - so fun!!



Okay, so one last item.  I have to satisfy my need for an edgy/minimalist look, and I don't know what would be more perfect than a jumpsuit.  I am currently obsessed with the Emerson Thorpe Juliette Wrap Front Jumpsuit.  While I love it in blue, the khaki would look fab with the tweed blazer and Kate Spade heels




A little bit of this and a little bit of that, which will all work together and mix well with the pieces you already own.  This is the best way to keep your wardrobe streamlined and organized, while maintaining the ability to meet the needs of your various identities.  Believe me, I know.



                                             - Allison



*Photos courtesy of google.com, jcrew.com, freepeople.com, anthropologie.com, lineapelle.com, singer22.com, nordstrom.com.






No comments:

Post a Comment