16.1.12

Get Your Shift On!

The Spring is upon us.  We technically have two more months, and a lot of winter to get through, but that doesn't stop retail.  We are nearing the end of Resort and ushering in the Spring trends, yet I can't really see myself wearing flats until at least March.  So, instead of telling me what to pack on my vacation, I would really appreciate ideas on how to wear all of these colorful pieces now!  Let's face it, we all would like to add something new to our wardrobes, but there is no need to buy something that we can't wear for at least two months.  It will be on sale by then!

As we are bombarded by the latest trends, I have tried to sort them out... color is in, but so are pastels.  Mod is back and so is the Flapper.  The Seventies are still around and we can't forget the Eighties... hello, neon!  Sequins, lace, fringe, and ruffles are popular as well as clean lines.  However, one of the biggest and most undisputed themes is a nod to femininity.  Ladylike dressing is very important this season as it was in the Fall.  A good piece of advice - when in doubt, dress like a lady.

Keeping femininity as our focus, I would like to introduce The Shift.  The shift is known for it's simple styling, higher neckline and straight or A-line shape.  In other words, it is a dress that will always have a place in your closet, and can be worn all year.  There are short shifts and longer ones for the more mature, crazy patterns, demure prints - most importantly there is something for everyone.  This season the shift is back in full force and is the perfect pick to wear now and later.  It does depend on the style, but the shift can be worn with tights and boots (or booties), a sweater, a blazer, a tee or turtleneck underneath.  It is a perfect way to add some color on a dreary day without looking like you stepped out of a spring catalog.

Some shifts that I have my eye on right now...

This Animal Print Shift is one of many available at Topshop.  I liked the animal print because it is a little more exciting.  It is the perfect wear to work with a blazer or out at night with some sexy heels and a great belt.  The definition of an easy shift that is very versatile.


I can't help it, but this Sachin + Babi dress makes me think of Working Girl.  I keep thinking of the Eighties and power suits... Anywho, I love the dress!  I think this is fab for all ages.  It would look great with a pop of color layered underneath or some fun shoes.  Add a belt for a different look.  So many options with this dress.


You can never go wrong with DVF, and this is a great example.  The Diane Hanky Shift Dress makes a statement on it's own, but would look great with color too.  I don't think I would belt it, but is the perfect canvas for fun jewelry and shoes.


I love Tibi!  I can't really afford Tibi, but I like to dream.  With a nod to mod, this Tibi Shift Dress is a great wear now wear later piece.  Enough said.


What would a post be without a little J.Crew?  This J.Crew shift is fun, colorful and would look great on everyone.  I think it would look just as cute with snow boots as it would with wedges.


And now for the dress that I will definitely never own, but love... Derek Lam's Colorblock Shift.  I love how the colorblocking is used to give a flapper feel to the dress. If I owned this, I would have to wear it once a week.  I am totally serious.  And, I believe that I could go at least six weeks without wearing the same way twice.  It is amazing how versatile the shift can be!


Make sure a shift is one of your new purchases this season.  You won't regret it!

                                          - Allison


*Photos courtesy of neimanmarcus.com, shopbop.com, topshop.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment